STU Future EduLeaders’ Symposium 2017 was jointly organised by STU and NTUC on 25 April 2017 at NTUC Cenre (OMB) Auditorium. About 150 guests and participants attended the half-a-day event.
The event was graced by the Guest of Honour, Dr Janil Puthucheary, Minister of State for Communications & Information and Education. The keynote speaker Mr Richard Koh, Chief Technology Officer from Microsoft Singapore, gave an insightful presentation on Disruption and the impact on jobs of the future.
Dr Jaclyn Lee, Senior Director for Human Resources of Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD) and Mr Lim Swee Cheang, Vice Dean of Executive Development Programmes, School of Continuing and Lifelong Education (SCALE) of National University of Singapore shared on Preparing for Future Skills Needed in the Digital Economy and Agility – An Antidote to Disruption, respectively.
The symposium was well received by participants and here were some key takeaways from them:
“I found the sharing by Mr Richard Koh to be interesting and insightful. It is good to know how technology can be used to assist students in their learning and how we can prepare them to tackle uncertainties in our VUCA world.”
“I thought the points raised by the speakers, especially from Microsoft and MOS, were interesting. Not much different from what we know but some contextualisation of the information that is already out there.”
“The sharing by the various key note speakers provided much insight on how technology can impact our lives in the future. Teaching students the way we learnt in the past will no longer be valid. The students are also likely to face many challenges like not being adequately prepared for the workforce if they are also not skilled with the relevant skills to be more adaptive, innovative and creative in their own ways.”
“Because we work with students, this is very relevant and important for us. To prepare them for their future, we should have some knowledge of what is going to take place, at least, in the immediate future.”
Participants with SMS Dr Janil Puthucheary at STU Future EduLeaders’ Symposium 2017
The Symposium was streamed live via Facebook Live. Here are the links to the recordings of the Symposium:
- Welcome Address by Mr Mike Thiruman, President, Singapore Teachers’ Union
- Opening Address by Dr Janil Puthucheary, Senior Minister of State, Ministry of Communications and Information & Ministry of Education
- Keynote Address by Mr Richard Koh, Chief Technology Officer, Microsoft Singapore
- “Preparing for Future Skills Needed in the Digital Economy” Speech by Dr Jaclyn Lee, Senior Director, Human Resources, Singapore University of Technology & Design
- “Agility – An Antidote to Disruption” Speech by Mr Lim Swee Cheang, Vice Dean, Executive Development Programmes, School of Continuing and Lifelong Education (SCALE), National University of Singapore
- Closing Address by Mr Vivek Kumar, Assistant Director-General, NTUC, and Board Member, iMDA